When war was declared by the Canadian Government on August 4, 1914, a call when out from Lindsay native, Minister of Militia Sir Sam Hughes to all 226 Canadian militia regiments to recruit members for the forming Canadian Expeditionary force. Regiments from across Canada recruited members who then traveled to the new camp being developed at Valcartier, a few miles north of Quebec City. The 3rd (Toronto) Battalion was being formed at Valcartier from Toronto regiments, specifically the 2nd Queens Own Rifles, the 10th Royal Grenadiers and the Governor General’s Body Guard. Young Stanley Kelly was one of the Royal Grenadiers members who had heeded the call to arms and climbed on the train leaving for Valcartier. The 3rd Battalion’s command was given to Toronto businessman and Queen’s Own Rifles Major, Lieutenant-Colonel Robert Rennie (Rennie’s Seeds, Toronto). The 3rd Battalion was positioned in the 1st (Ontario) Brigade of the forming 1st Canadian Division, headed by Toronto Lawyer, Lieutenant-Colonel M.S. Mercer, also of the Queen’s Own Rifles. This brigade also included: the 1st (Western Ontario) Battalion; 2nd (Eastern Ontario) Battalion; and the 4th (Central Ontario) Battalion.
|Y Farm Military Cemetery, Bois-Grenier, France|
On October 25, 1915, Pte Kelly was sent to Moore Barracks Hospital, Shorncliffe January, 1917 and Bearwood Hospital February, 1917 where it appears he spent the balance of the war. He was treated for Influenza in November, 1918 at Bushy Park hospital and for Pneumonia while at Ramsgate in 1916.